Job Opportunity: Marketing and Communications Manager
The Poetry Translation Centre is looking for a part-time Marketing and Communications Manager to join our small and dynamic team. This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious and organised person with a passion for participatory arts and community engagement. We particularly welcome applications from candidates from diaspora heritage backgrounds.
The Poetry Translation Centre was established by the poet Sarah Maguire in 2004, to introduce new audiences to leading poets from around the world, as well as better understand and celebrate the diverse communities who have made their home in the UK.
We publish award-winning books, organise poetry tours and deliver hands-on translation workshops that are open and inclusive to all. We offer free online resources including a popular dual-language poetry podcast and an extensive web archive of poems in translation. Our Undertow programme supports the development of young poets and translators, while the biennial Sarah Maguire Prize, first awarded in 2020, spotlights the very best books in the field of poetry translation.
The PTC is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. The Centre has been regularly funded by Arts Council England since 2006, and since April 2012 has been a National Portfolio Organisation. The Chair of our Board is Octavia Lamb.
We wish to recruit a part-time Marketing and Communications Manager. The successful candidate will lead on marketing the PTC’s activities, events, workshops and publications to a range of different audiences, including target diaspora heritage communities. They will also have responsibility for the PTC's communications strategy, shaping our online presence and being our voice across social media.
The position is 3 days per week (0.6 Full Time Equivalent or FTE), and is based at the PTC’s office in Deptford, south-east London, with flexible working options.
Marketing and communication
- Lead on the marketing of the PTC’s activities and events including producing print materials, mailings, newsletters, flyers
- Maintain and curate the PTC’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and SoundCloud)
- Develop marketing contacts with partner organisations in and beyond our sector
- Maintain and grow the PTC’s supporter mailing list
- Develop the PTC’s press contacts list with journals and websites and act as the first point of contact for press enquiries
- Write and distribute press releases for PTC books and projects
- Ensure the correct use of PTC brand assets including our logos
- Update the PTC website to reflect the PTC’s ongoing activities
- Curate and commission new content for the PTC website
- Project-manage development work on the PTC website as appropriate
- Manage any PTC Interns engaged in communication or marketing activity for the PTC, supporting their professional development
- Coordinate (and in some cases manage) the work of external communication and marketing consultants and identify new consultants with additional expertise
- Collect and analyse data on the PTC’s online activity
- Ensure that the PTC is complying with all data handling regulations
- Periodically review and update the PTC’s data handling policy
- Support internal communications by maintaining the shared drive, Google Workspace logins and third party website passwords
- Manage shared online workspaces such as Slack
Other Tasks as Required by the Chief Executive
- At least two years’ experience working in Marketing and/or Communications, preferably in an arts organisation
- Experience with marketing strategies
- Experience with social media planning
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work independently and flexibly as part of a small team
- Experience with marketing to diaspora communities
- A passion for poetry, languages and international culture
- Experience with Google Workspace programmes including G-Drive
- Experience of website management
- Salary: £26,000–£29,000 pro rata depending on experience
- Hours: 21 hours per week (0.6 Full Time Equivalent or FTE)
- Location: The Albany, Douglas Way, Deptford SE8 4AG (with flexible working options)
- Line Manager: Chief Executive
- Contract terms: Permanent, following a satisfactory three-month probationary period
Please send a CV and covering letter, together with a PTC Diversity Monitoring Form (which can be downloaded from this page), to email@example.com. Please put ‘Application – Marketing and Communications Manager’ in the subject heading of your email.
Deadline: End of Thursday 16 June 2022
Interviews (in person or via Zoom): Week of 27 June 2022